Registration & Records

Registration & Records

The Offices of Admissions and Records and Academic Services have primary responsibility for handling course registration, student enrollment services, and students’ academic records.

Registration Procedure

The Office of Academic Services will announce the time and location for course registration and related academic advising information. Students may register for two back-to-back semesters’ worth of courses at one time.

Selecting courses is the first step in registration at the College. Students who register for courses will receive a College Bill showing charges and credits for the upcoming semester and any prior balance. Students must pay both the current and prior balances in order for their registration to be processed.

Adding or Dropping Courses

During the Course Selection Period, i.e. the first two weeks of classes, students may add courses, drop courses, and/or change the grading options of courses between letter grade and pass/fail. Such changes normally do not incur a fee or penalty, but are subject to the limitations of space availability in the course and any course load requirements.

A student who wishes to drop a course after the second week of classes (but not after the twelfth week) must consult the academic advisor to discuss the student’s performance in the course as well as the potential academic and financial impact of course withdrawal. To complete course withdrawal, the student must obtain the signed approval from the academic advisor and the course instructor on the Add/Drop Form. For each course withdrawn after the fourth week of classes, a “W” (withdrawn) will appear on the student’s permanent record. Courses marked with a “W” do not factor into a student’s grade point average and are not considered courses attempted in assessing whether the student satisfies the requirements for graduation.

If a student misses over half of the required activities in the first quarter of a course without contacting the course instructor and the Office of Admissions and Records, the student may be administratively withdrawn from the course and receive an automatic grade of “F.”

Leave of Absence

A student in good standing who desires to take a leave of absence from the College may file a petition with the Office of Student Affairs and make an appointment with the Office staff before the end of the second week of the semester. Students who are granted a leave of absence may enroll in the College for a subsequent semester with the privileges of a returning student. An application for a leave of absence after the second week of the semester is granted only for documented health and emergency reasons, such as in cases of military service or serious illness on the part of the student.

A note will be placed on a student’s transcript indicating the leave status. A leave of absence is typically granted for one year and may be extended for another year.

A student who is granted a leave of absence before the end of the second week of any semester is entitled to a full refund of applicable tuition. Students granted leaves of absence after the end of the second week but before the end of the Course Withdrawal Period are entitled to partial tuition refund on a pro rata basis. No tuition is refunded for applications filed after the Course Withdrawal Period.

Students who fail to go through the official process of applying for a leave of absence but leave campus without filing withdrawal papers will be deemed to have attended the semester.

Transcripts and Proof of Enrollment Requests

Current and former students may request transcripts, enrollment verification letters, and/or early grade letters (if available) at the Office of Admissions and Records. Transcripts that include the current semester’s grades are normally processed only after the semester is finished. Enrollment verification requests made during the semester are normally processed after the Course Withdrawal Period. Early grade letters are available only when a grade report has been received by the Office of Admissions and Records but is not yet posted to the transcript.

For privacy purposes, transcript and verification requests cannot be submitted by any party other than the person to whom the transcript or verification belongs. Written release by the student granting the authorization to request to a third party is not permitted except for specific verification requests to be sent to a company or institution. Every full-time Fei Tian College student is eligible for two free requests per semester for transcripts, verification letters, and/or early grade letters. Each subsequent request carries a fee of $10.00. Payment in the form of cash, personal check, or money order must be made prior to processing documents. If a transcript or letter is to be sent to more than one address, a separate request must be made for each.

For requests placed by mail or fax, the requester must provide a copy of a valid government-issued photo identification showing the bearer’s signature. Cash should not be sent through the mail; the required payment should be made in the form of a personal check or money order.

Regular processing normally takes five to seven business days for a transcript or verification letter to be available for pick-up in person or mailed by the Office of Admissions and Records. Expedited processing is available for an additional fee of $20.00 per document that is to be picked up by the requesting student in person. When a request requires express postal delivery, the requester is responsible for the cost of the specific postal services requested.

Delivery time is beyond the College’s control, so students should factor in delivery time when placing a request.