Credit for Prior Learning
Credit for prior learning provides the option to award academic credit to students who can demonstrate college-level knowledge and competencies, or their equivalent. This may include, but is not limited to: transfer of credit between institutions; transfer of credit based on exams that are either developed by the College Board (including Advanced Placement (AP) and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP)) or offered by other internationally recognized organizations (including International Baccalaureate (IB)), or developed by Fei Tian College; and prior occupational or life experience that merits the award of academic credit.
General conditions on the award of credit for prior learning include the following:
- The student must be matriculated at Fei Tian College.
- Prior learning must not duplicate, overlap, or regress previous coursework.
- Prior learning shall not be included in calculating the student’s grade point average.
- The total number of credits awarded based on prior learning may not exceed 50 percent of the total credits required for graduation.
To request credit for prior learning, students must be able to demonstrate that they have met the learning objectives required in a college academic course. This is shown through a portfolio or other other written request, to be created as described below.
Transfer of Credit Between Institutions
Students may apply for transfer of credit earned at other institutions including:
- Institutions accredited by agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education
- Degree-granting institutions approved by the New York State Education Department
- International colleges and universities recognized by Fei Tian College.
Transfer of credits between institutions is subject to the following restrictions:
- Credits must carry a grade of at least C+ for general education courses, and at least B for courses in the student’s area of specialization (i.e., dance or music). Pass-fail credits are not transferable unless a pass-fail option also exists at Fei Tian for the equivalent course.
- The institution offering the courses allows them to be taken for credit toward the equivalent degree.
- Courses are substantially similar in terms of content and rigor to courses registered for at Fei Tian; namely:
- Cover at least 75% of the course material
- Include equivalent meeting hours for the same number of credit hours
- Include requirements for equivalent graded assignments/exams
- Use an equivalent textbook (if applicable)
- Credits cannot be used for dual credit to satisfy high school graduation requirements.
- In computing transfer credits, quarter credits shall be converted to semester credits. Unless specified otherwise, one quarter credit equals two-thirds of a semester credit (e.g., 3 quarter credits equal 2 semester credits).
- For the BFA in Classical Chinese Dance, a student may transfer up to 33 general education credits toward the degree. Dance credits are not transferable.
- For the BM in Performance, a student normally may transfer a maximum of 33 general education or 30 music credits, totaling up to 60 credits toward the degree. However, in cases for which the student earned a baccalaureate degree from an institution recognized by the College, he or she may be exempted from up to all of the general education requirements for graduation, which will be treated as transfer credits.
Students may request a transfer of credit between institutions by submitting to the Office of Admissions and Records a written request, which shall include an official transcript, course descriptions and syllabi of the courses for which transfer credit is sought, and any other information the College requires to conduct a proper evaluation.
The transfer credit will appear on both unofficial and official Fei Tian College transcripts within four weeks of official receipt of the request.
Transfer of Credit Based on Exams
Credit Based on AP/CLEP/IB Exams
Fei Tian College recognizes standardized examinations developed by the College Board, including Advanced Placement (AP) and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Fei Tian also recognizes examinations offered by other internationally recognized organizations, including International Baccalaureate (IB).
Students may request a transfer of credit based on exams by submitting a written request and ordering an official score report of the AP/CLEP/IB exam to be sent to the Office of Admissions and Records. A maximum of five AP/CLEP/IB exams may be accepted for credit.
The transfer credit will appear on official Fei Tian College transcripts within four weeks of official receipt of the official score report.
Credit Based on Fei Tian College Course Exams
Students may earn credit by exam by passing any of Fei Tian College’s select course exams. These course exams are designed to be comparable to the AP/CLEP/IB exams in terms of intellectual challenge, level of skill required, and breadth of knowledge tested. To be eligible to sit for any of these course exams (with the exception of Chinese language courses), the student must present to the Office of Academic Services an official transcript as proof that he or she has successfully completed at another institution an advanced-level course in the same subject or topic covered by the exam. Normally, a maximum of one credit by exam may be accepted for credit per semester.
Credit for Experiential or Other Forms of Learning
Experiential learning includes learning acquired through professional, creative, volunteer, or other work and life experiences, which might involve non-collegiate institutions and/or non-accredited colleges and universities. This type of learning may be recognized for academic credit where no other category of prior learning credit applies and if it can be verified that such learning is equivalent in level and nature to the learning acquired in Fei Tian College programs.
Credit for experiential learning is subject to the following policies:
- Credit is based on substantially similar registered courses at Fei Tian.
- Credits must carry a grade of at least C+ or its equivalent for non-collegiate coursework.
- A maximum of 30 credits may be transferred toward the degree as major credit, general education credit, and/or elective credit.
- Credit for experiential learning will not be computed in the student’s grade point average.
- Prior experiential learning shall be assessed by a committee of two or more Fei Tian College faculty members with expertise in the subject area upon recommendation of the Office of Admissions and Records in consultation with the Chair of the relevant Department.
- Assessment of prior experiential learning is made based on the requesting student’s portfolio, which must evidence outstanding achievement requiring mastery of a topic.
- Fei Tian College shall maintain records regarding the assessment of prior experiential learning portfolios.
Interested students may contact the Office of Admissions and Records to obtain an official request form to complete. Student must list the courses for which they request credit and provide proper documentation of prior learning, such as certificates, military training records, in-service training records, or professional certificates.
Since assessment of prior experiential learning portfolios is a time-consuming process for all parties involved, students should first consult their advisors before submitting a portfolio.