Requirements for undergraduate admission are only a threshold to admission. The final decision on admission is based primarily on the applicants’ performance during the live audition.
Applicants to the undergraduate dance program (BFA in Classical Chinese Dance) are expected to have a minimum of two years’ experience with classical Chinese dance.
There is a pre-screening of applicants for which applicants must submit, as part of the application package, a 15-minute video file of the applicant performing classical Chinese dance and/or another dance form. The video must be made within six months of the date of application. The recording must be unedited and clearly labeled with the applicant’s full name and a list of the repertoire performed therein. Applicants who pass the pre-screening may be invited to campus for a live audition if deemed necessary.
The live audition focuses on a combination of classical Chinese dance movements and lasts approximately 1 and a half hours. Applicants may be asked to perform movement combinations under the instruction of a panel of judges. Those who demonstrate a strong technical base during the initial part of the audition will be asked to perform one or two solos, each up to two minutes in length. Each applicant should prepare two contrasting solos with musical accompaniment prerecorded by the applicant. Applicants are advised to bring a backup copy of their music (audio file). Based on the panel’s review of the solo(s), applicants may be invited to perform a brief repertory sequence that will be taught and coached.
All applicants are ultimately evaluated on whether they have the potential to become professional artists of classical Chinese dance. Specific admissions criteria for the undergraduate dance program (BFA in Classical Chinese Dance) at Fei Tian College include:
- Potential for a career in dance
- Body alignment
- Coordination and flexibility
- Rhythmic accuracy
- A physique conducive to classical Chinese dance as a major or career
- Ability to replicate movement combinations
- An understanding of the special characteristics of Chinese dance
- Respect for moral character and the commitment to learn classical Chinese dance in a holistic way
Applicants to the undergraduate music program (BM in Performance) will be pre-screened. Applicants must submit, as part of the application package, a 15- to 20-min- ute-long video file with clear audio quality of the applicant performing classical Western and/or Chinese music. Applicants should choose works that best represent their individual artistry. The recording must be made within six months of the date of application. Recordings must be unedited and clearly labeled with the applicant’s full name, instrument, and a list of the repertoire performed therein. It is not required that the technical quality of the recording be up to professional studio standards, but the sound quality should be as good as is feasible. Applicants who pass the pre-screening may be invited to campus for a live audition if deemed necessary.
The live audition focuses on the performance of two pre-1900 pieces of contrasting character, major and minor scales, and sight-reading. Applicants should be familiar with all clefs in common use for their instruments. Each applicant should prepare two contrasting solos, at least one of which uses musical accompaniment. If applicants choose to use a College piano accompanist for the audition, they should indicate so in the response form attached to the Audition Invitation and submit the scores for accompaniment as instructed. For those using prerecorded musical accompaniment, applicants are advised to bring a backup copy of their music (CD or audio file).
Applicants must bring their scores to the audition.
All applicants are ultimately evaluated based on whether they have the potential to become professional musicians of classical Western and Chinese music. Specific admission criteria for the undergraduate music program (BM in Performance) at Fei Tian College include:
- Potential for a career in music
- Musicianship potential for meeting the technical and artistic standards of the College’s undergraduate music program
- Ability to sight-read
- Appreciation of classical Western and Chinese music and cross-cultural music
Respect for moral character and the commitment to learn classical Western and Chinese music perfor- mance in a holistic way
A complete undergraduate application package includes:
- A completed, signed application form
- A non-refundable application fee of $50 USD payable by money order (qualified applicants may apply for a waiver)
- High school transcripts required for all freshman applicants
- College transcripts required for all transfer applicants and applicants with a baccalaureate degree
- Test scores
- SAT/ACT, if required
- TOEFL or other proof of English language proficiency, if required
- Chinese language proficiency test(optional)
- A personal statement of 1-2 pages explaining why the applicant wishes to attend the College
- Two recommendation letters: one from an academic teacher, counselor, or supervisor of the applicant; and one from a primary arts teacher (in the field of dance or music) of the applicant
- Performance video
- Recent photograph [digital format of a 4” x 4” photograph showing full-body frontal view of the applicant (in form-fitting attire for the dance program); > 800 x 600 pixels]
All application materials are non-returnable.
Applications must be completed in the English language or accompanied by a certified English translation.