Department of Dance
MFA in Classical Chinese Dance
The MFA in Classical Chinese Dance (60 credits) is designed for dance artists who have received systematic training in classical Chinese dance or another rigorous dance form (eg ballet), have had reasonable professional performance experience, and are interested in mastering or advancing their knowledge, skills, and experience in choreography, pedagogy, theory, and/or professional performance in classical Chinese dance.
Fei Tian College’s MFA in Classical Chinese Dance seeks to help experienced dancers who have trained systematically in rigorous dance forms at the undergraduate level to acquire artistry, knowledge, and competency to become lead or principal dancers, managers, college faculty, or researchers who can fully contribute to the preservation and promotion of classical Chinese dance in diverse cultural settings.
- Help students develop advanced technical proficiency and artistry in classical Chinese dance that enables them to pursue professional careers in performance, choreography, teaching, and/or administration.
- Enable students to develop the ability to create original choreographic works in classical Chinese dance both independently and in collaboration with others, as well as to conduct research in dance.
- Obtain requisite knowledge and skills for teaching and explaining dance in its cultural, historical, and aesthetic contexts through both verbal and written languages to audience with diverse backgrounds.
Graduation requirements for the MFA in Classical Chinese Dance include:
- Satisfactory completion of a minimum of 60 credits of graduate level courses set by the Department of Dance, as further explained below.
- Successful completion of a Master’s project.
- Meeting the residency requirement, which is normally at least one year of full-time study. The residency requirement can be adjusted with special permission.
- Completion of all program requirements within five (5) years from the date of first enrollment. Typically, it takes two years to complete the program of study. Any extension beyond five years requires pre-approval by the Graduate Chair of the department.
- See the Department of Liberal Arts and Sciences section to read about the college-wide LAS requirements.
Credit Course Requirements
23 credits of studio core courses:
- DAN 501R Advanced Classical Chinese Dance I (4cr, two terms)
- DAN 601R Advanced Classical Chinese Dance II (4cr, two terms)
- DAN 512 Graduate Choreography I (2cr)
- DAN 521 Chinese Dance Repertory I (4cr)
- DAN 551 Integration of Dance and Music (1cr)
11 credits of academic core courses:
- DAN 510 Advanced Pedagogy I (2cr)
- DAN 541 Chinese Dance Throughout the Ages (3cr)
- LAS 550 Research Methodology in the Arts (2cr)
- DAN 561 Seminar: Dance in Cultural Context (2cr)
- And one of the following:
- DAN 523 Holistic Health for Artists (2cr)
- DAN 631 Dance Kinesiology (2cr)
20 credits of approved electives specified as follows:
- At least 10 credits from the following studio electives
- DAN 531 Acting for Stage (1cr)
- DAN 612 Graduate Choreography II (2cr)
- DAN 621 Chinese Dance Repertory II (4cr)
- DAN 602 Techniques of Other Dance Systems: Ballet I (2cr)
- DAN 603 Techniques of Other Dance Systems: Ballet II (2cr)
- DAN 555 Graduate Practicum (4cr)
- DAN 556 Independent Study or Project (1-6cr)
- DAN 671 Internship (4cr)
- Approved academic electives
- DAN 511 Advanced Pedagogy II (2cr)
- DAN 610 Psychology in Dance Education (2cr)
- DAN 562 Topics in Chinese Dance Ethnography (Seminar) (2cr)
- DAN 663 Perspectives on Dance Aesthetics (Seminar) (2cr)
- LAS 522 Seminar in Performing Arts Management (3cr)
- LAS 570 Media Technology for the Arts (2cr)
6 credits of Master’s project:
- DAN 650 Master’s Project (6cr)