Department of LAS
Department of LAS
The Department of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) currently does not have its own degree program. Instead, it supports the dance and music programs by offering three types of courses: courses that fulfill the college-wide LAS requirements, courses designed to meet and broaden students’ diverse interests, and courses that are required of the dance production concentration/emphasis in the BFA program.
The Objectives of the LAS Department
- To enable students to read and listen with understanding and express themselves effectively in written and spoken standard English;
- To enable students read and listen with understanding and express themselves effectively in written and spoken (Mandarin) Chinese;
- To train students in gathering information through research and use of the library as well as in reporting that information responsibly;
- To help students develop a substantial ability to understand numerical data and recognize the interpretations that the data permit or exclude;
- To provide a learning environment in which students acquire, develop, and deploy skills of rational thought and critical analysis, especially regarding social phenomena and human behavior;
- To help students develop the ability to recognize and evaluate artistic and creative achievements;
- To foster students’ appreciation and understanding of traditional heritage;
- To help students acquire a global perspective and integrated knowledge of the heritage, culture, social structures, accomplishments, and values of major non-Western civilizations;
- To nurture an environment in which students are able to experience the benefits of moving beyond the boundaries of a single discipline or culture so as to explore interdisciplinary connections and take initiates in cross-cultural communications; and
- To ensure that students examine the purposes and consequences of their education and experience at the College, and to foster appreciation of moral actions and social responsibility of graduates.