Grading System

Fei Tian College uses two grading scales: letter grade and pass/no pass.

The basic letter grades are “A,” “B,” “C,” “D,” and “F.” The College gives instructors the option to add a plus or minus to letter grades (except “F”), yielding grades such as “A+” and “C–.”

Incomplete Grades

The grade of Incomplete (“I”) may be assigned at the discretion of the instructor when a student’s work in a course is of passing quality but is incomplete and the student formally requests an Incomplete (“I”) by the last class session. In requesting a grade of Incomplete, students should discuss with the instructor the reason for the incompleted work and exactly what coursework remains to be completed.

The course instructor has discretion to grant or deny the request and to determine the conditions under which the incomplete grade is made up, including setting a deadline within a one-year timeframe. Under no circumstance should a student re-register for a class to complete an “I.” Registering for a class a second time invokes the “Course Repetition” rules.

An “I” is a temporary notation that must be changed to a permanent grade on the student’s transcript within a maximum of one year. To confirm the student’s completion of the assigned work and replace the “I” grade, the instructor must submit a Grade Change Form to the Office of Admissions and Records. Otherwise, the student’s grade will automatically change to a “FIN” (failed incomplete).

Grade Change

Once final grades have been posted by the Office of Admissions and Records, they will be changed only in exceptional circumstances and only with the approval of the instructor and the chair of the department offering the course.

To request a grade change, instructors must submit a completed Change of Grade Form to the chair of the department offering the course for consideration. If the request is granted, the instructor must forward the Change of Grade Form to the Office of Admissions and Records for processing.

Grade Point Average

Every student will have a grade point average (GPA) calculated at both the end of each registered semester (single term GPA) and cumulatively (cumulative GPA), which will be the ratio of grade points earned divided by the number of credits attempted with letter grades. The number of grade points for a course is found by multiplying the grade’s assigned grade points by the course’s credit weight. Students can calculate their major GPA, by including only the grades received in courses required for their major.

The pass/no pass grades are “P” and “NP.”

Pass/No Pass Option

The Pass/No Pass option was designed to encourage students to explore a new academic area or take a particularly challenging course without undue concern about their academic performance in the course.

By electing the Pass/No Pass option for a certain course, the student will be graded by the instructor as usual throughout the course, but the final grade transcribed and recorded by the Office of Admissions and Records will be a “P” (pass) if the instructor assigns a passing letter grade, or an “NP” (no pass) if the instructor assigns a failing letter grade or an “IA” or “AFE” grade, or if the grade is “FIN”. All other grades, including “I,” “W,” and “PX,” are not converted and appear on the student’s transcript unchanged. Courses taken on a Pass/No Pass basis do not affect the GPA.

Students may earn a maximum of eight credits with the Pass/No Pass option. Each use of the Pass/No Pass option must be approved by the student’s academic advisor. No General Education, major core, or electives requirements will be fulfilled with courses taken on a Pass/No Pass basis.